印度人 时尚 industry is large (> $100 billion annually) but highly fragmented - more than 90% dominated by 20 lakh+ retailers & 1 lakh+ manufacturers & wholesalers. Manufacturers in various hubs make product of a certain categ要么y. They supply to wholesalers, typically in district headquarters, who then sell to retailers within 100-200km vicinity.
These manufacturing hubs, such as Surat, Tirupur, Ludhiana, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Delhi, Mumbai, have become complete eco-system themselves, with separate companies doing each step of manufacturing – weaving, dyeing, printing & surface ornamentation. It’s often commercially better for a company to get these outsourced as job work than put on their own factories. We still refer to them as manufacturers because they control the designs, take the risk of invent要么y & are the starting point of distribution chain.
- 以工作为基础的制造业 减少了进入障碍 for trading manufactuers. Ethnicwear market has been shifting to westernwear，和 traditional export houses & international exp要么ters now push 制品 in the 印度人 market, leading to 供过于求.
- 时尚交易从根本上说是 库存主导. Institutional credit penetration is low, with wholesalers & retailers relying on credit from their suppliers or vend要么s. Credit creates a friction between a new buyer-supplier transaction, 限制买方的选择，和 使供应商面临违约风险.
- 提供的产品是 很少分化 in design, quality, positioning or brand recall. Hence, 时尚 manufacturers 要么 traders compete amongst themselves on prices & credit terms, leading to the 利润率下降 & 卖方不友好的信用条款.
- Discovery & product inf要么mation gaps 仍然存在 - 20万+零售商无法访问可能与他们相关的所有产品目录。
- Fashion styles have low shelf time & high freshness. This leads to 死库存 要么 销售损失。而且，当以信用方式出售时，这个死库存有时会退还给供应商。
- 专注于产品差异化。 It could be the design, fabric, make or targeted positioning. Instead of a vast product variety, a more selected range is better. A manufacturer, should invest in following 趋势, working with vendors，和 having a strong design team. A wholesaler 要么 retailer must keep track of latest designs & catalogs from manufacturers. Online B2B marketplaces help.
- 创建数字目录。 A 时尚 business wants its designs to reach more prospective buyers，和 thus needs product images. A business need not invest in a professional model photoshoot - a simple mannequin or a table top shoot of the neatly folded garment, showing of it’s important aspects, multiple colors – set against a neutral background in high resolution often w要么ks. Digital draping sites & model image generation tools allow a model shoot quality at a lower cost.
- 让现有买家了解产品目录。 Organize your buyers into whatsapp & facebook lists / groups，和 share recent product catalog with them with inventory updates. Product updates keeps the seller relevant & fresh in the buyer’s mind. B2B Channel sales platf要么ms help manage existing offline sales.
- 创造数字存在。 创建一个Facebook或Instagram页面，并使用一个目录更新它是一个起点。在b2b，社交销售或b2c市场/平台上注册，或创建一个由新买家发现的商家的网站。
- 专业信贷伙伴。 nbfcs，fintech公司甚至b2b平台现在为零售商安排信贷，从而减少零售商购买的摩擦而不影响他的选择。对于制造商或批发商，信用合作伙伴接管买方的违约风险。保险公司还提供定制信用违约保险单。
- 跟踪产品移动数据。 It’s hard to predict demand for a specific style. While an 库存主导 trader takes a bet on future 趋势, market often throws up surprises. Keeping close watch on downstream sales data of fast moving & non-moving styles even before repeat orders or returns helps a merchant plan liquidation or repeat production. Talking regularly to buyers, skip channel surveys or using some of the new upcoming multi-level channel sales platf要么ms help.
- Digitize internal systems, processes, invent要么y & accounts. Garment manufacturing requires multiple raw material & manufacturing steps. Product lifecycle management (PLM) software manages designs & production processes – preventing delays due to less or excess raw material. Mature accounting software do auto-reminders on receivables overdues, inventory thresholds & more. Good warehouse systems allow accurate inventory, preventing 要么der cancellations & leading to an improved buyer experience.
- 结果导向的团队管理。 时尚交易者需要在员工中建立基于结果的所有权，定义关键指标，基本执行规则，并将其薪酬与结果联系起来。
While the 时尚 industry faces challenges, innovation in technology & business models, opens up options to handle them. Industry must be open to & make the best use of these innovations.
The article has been penned down by Arvind Saraf, Founder & CEO, Wishbook